Saturday, May 15, 2010

What good news??

Ok it's Saturday May 15th and it is bloomin' hot here in Zihuatanejo!! And apart from that it seems it is also the time of year when the people start burning off the grass etc in the surrounding hills and the air is thick with smoke!!
It's been a weird week in some ways. I do not function well in the extreme heat so at 5 o"clock at night today I went to the hospital to see a couple of people that I had not been able to talk to on Friday.. The major part of the heat of the day is finished but the smoke is really getting started once again having settled a bit since last night.
One patient is 16 and had just had a caesarian.She now has a baby girl. She is alone except that she has a very supportive 19 year old sister.Not sure how she will manage since she has no job and will depend on her sister to support her . The father of the baby is not in the picture at all and does not know he just had a baby girl.. I brought her one of the famous Youngstown Ladies baby quilts and some shampoo and soap for mama but it may well be the last time I see her. I have one chance to share with the girls what is important and that God has a plan even in this.

The second patient is a young 20 year old man who had to have surgery and is a diabetic and also on dialysis.One of his recent admissions was an attempted suicide. For the second time in two days ... he was sound asleep... he didn't even flinch when the nurse injected him. His mom is there day and night as is the custom here and looks tired and discouraged. So I chatted with her and tried to encourage her even though things look dismal. Perhaps she is the one who I will get to know and share God's love with.
Then, since I had the car out, I went to visit my friend in the centro who has had huge problems in the last year since the sudden death of her husband. She is a Christian. Having already walked with her through many of the issues and her fears and worries..today was very weird. It was like something was very off in her personality. So I told her that I thought something was amiss. She tried to say it wasn't the case but I know her. Then I told her about how some people think I am too direct (no comments please!!) and I really have worked on being more gentle but now that I am in the third age (a term used for all of us over 55 here in Mexico) I have recognized that there is no 4th age!! So I know time is at a premium. We get the days allotted to us and God already know how many that is.. so I am afraid I will become even more direct with those I care about and even with those who I may meet only once if God so directs. I hope I will be gentle but truthful for the time is short and our days are but a breath. Ask anyone over 60 and they will assure you that time has flown, and that it was like yesterday that they were a teenager.
What's my point?I refuse to beat around the bush if I love you but even if God puts you in my path as a virtual stranger I already know what my responsibility is because God loves you way more than I ever could and thats the good news you need to hear!!.

1 comment:

  1. keep up the blog Rose. I love to hear what you are up to. And I too am accused of being too direct sometimes and struggle with being more gentle. But at least with people like you and I,people will always know exactly where they stand and that's not such a bad thing in a world of wishy washy.!

    ReplyDelete