Sunday, July 4, 2010

July 4th , 2010 is about to come to a close. Its my 60th birthday. Ron said to me tonight.."who ever would have thought we'd make it to 60?!" That's just the point. We did not even give it a thought because it was so far away that it was unreal. But reality has arrived and I truly see that in all that has happened in my life..the good, the bad, and the ugly... I am today truly blessed.

I got to bed somewhat later than my usual early to bed routine as we were at Victor Mejia Reyes wedding. That's a whole story by itself. We have shared a lot of time just chatting and sharing with him over the last 8 years.. since he was a teenager. Now he is a married man with a degree in theology plus Hebrew and Greek, a wife, and a new job as pastor of our sister church Koninea en Cristo. It was quite the Mexican evening but I will save it for another time.

We woke suddenly at 3 a.m. to the tune of our small dog Miss Piggy's sharp barking. She simply would not be quieted. After speaking to her several times Ron finally turned on some outdoor lights and we could hear a hiss and knew something was under the truck. Finally we let our big dog "bear" out of her location in the backyard to scare whatever was under the truck out of hiding. It was a rather large iguana. No sooner was the iguana spooked out of hiding than our dear gentle Piggy grabbed it and ran with it. I am sorry to say there was no rescue for that iguana. Even the very large lab "bear" could not get the prize from piglets jaws. Thus entered July 4th 2010. As a result I awoke late and moving slowly.

There were a few other events before church which were good reminders of the grace of God and how precious our children are but for the sake of privacy I will stop there. Lets just say there was some rejoicing in our yard this morning at 9 at what had NOT happened to one little 7 year old girl!

Off to church and I am so refreshed to have young people in our midst. A church almost entirely made up of seniors is always ready to have young people come and belong to the family!!
The hotel that we meet in made a surprise cake for me which we all went down to the restaurant and shared with juice and then even some red wine for the toast to the birthday girl. Did I mention that its me!! Home again home again and then the surprise come and go coffee and cake reception.

Unfortunately I was also the recipient of a group email invitation by my unknowing dear husband and so the surprise element was shot! So from 3 p.m. to 6 p.m. we had quite a few folk from my life here coming to give their greetings and best wishes. Ron said he would have to invite the town if he was going to get to all the people who might come!! Not quite true but the sentiment is well taken!! At 7 :20 p.m. we finally had to say we were going out to the last few young lingerers and we headed out for one last hurrah for dinner.

At Escolleras ( unbelievable view!) we started with escargot and then had lobster bisque after which I had Dorado empapelado and stuffed with cheeses and shrimp. They sang to me and brought me cake but half way through my meal I was done eating. I told Ron that one thing about growing up is knowing when you have reached your limit and realizing you do not have to clean your plate!!

So we came home with a doggy bag. Lots of phone calls from dear friends all over the map and two out of three children (not bad!!). I really felt cherished.

How do I feel?? Well the number 60 really turns me off quite frankly but when I think about it its simply another epoch in my life. I can do well or not. I choose to do well. Continuing in service to the Lord Jesus Christ for as long as He gives me breath.

I start an exercise program tomorrow. Really!!

No comments:

Post a Comment